Interviewed by: Nehal Khan
Tim Schofield-also known as QBKing77, has been making a living filming Android-centric, how to and review videos for his YouTube channel, since 2011. His channel has over 235, 000 subscribers and 60 million views. He is also known for doing ton of giveaways and helping newcomers learn the basics of their Android device, like rooting or installing a custom ROM. We talked to Scholfield to learn about his process of making videos and how he runs his channel.
1) Tell us about yourself? And your life outside YouTube?
I graduated college with a business management major. I played golf on scholarship during school and continue to play as much as I can. I love to travel and would like to visit as many countries as possible. In my free time I enjoy playing and watching sports with friends and also spending time with family.
2) When did you start your YouTube channel?
I posted my first video in 2011 when I was 18 years old. Started doing it for fun to help people out and it took off from there.
3) How did this idea come in your mind to become a YouTuber?
I honestly just wanted to share my knowledge about the Android operating system with as many people as possible and YouTube was the best medium for this. It was much easier for me to link to videos than give individual support.
4) Name one of your favorite YouTuber who inspired you.
Before I started making videos I used to enjoy Aaron Baker’s videos when he worked at PhoneDog. I watch a good amount of YouTuber’s and all of their content has inspired me.
5) We have seen a lot of interesting gadget reviews on your channel, how difficult it is to make these videos and arrange these gadgets?
It depends on the type of video that I am trying to make. Some have a lot of behind the scenes research and set up, and other’s I just hit record on the camera and speak my mind.
6) Throughout your YouTube journey, what difficulty did you face to reach to this level?
I think the most difficult part is coming up with new and interesting content for my channel. I try to diversify my content and listen to my fans requests as much as possible.
7) How difficult it is to maintain a YouTube channel with thousands of subscribers?
It’s a lot harder than you would think. There’s a lot of networking that goes with it and trying to acquire specific tech products can be a little difficult. It’s also important to keep up the video quality including better video editing and camera techniques. This isn’t my forte, so I get to learn everyday new ways to improve my videos.
8) What are the pros and cons of being a YouTuber?
A pro is that you get to interact with a lot of interesting people. I started doing this to help people out and that’s still the main reason I am making videos. Another pro is that I can work wherever I want as long as there is internet and my camera. A con is that you don’t get to work with people too often. I enjoy interacting with others in person and would like to start collaborating more.
9) Amongst all your reviews; was there any specific gadget review you remember, that was the most personally interesting to you?
I personally enjoy reviewing the latest Android updates as soon as they come out. I’ve seen to grow a reputation of getting these videos out right away with the most information about what has changed as possible.
10) your reaction on receiving the YouTube`s silver button?
It was honestly very humbling. It really made me sit back and be thankful for everyone’s continued support. I have it sitting right above my desk and see it every day!
11) The most important thing you have learned from your YouTube experience?
I’ve learned so many different things from YouTube. There are so many aspects that go into it including a business side as well. Being a Business major, I love being able to implement various marketing and public relations aspects I’ve learned.
12) What are your Current/ future projects?
At the moment, I’ve been doing a lot of coverage on the Galaxy S7 and will soon be doing coverage on the LG G5 as well! Once summer comes I’d like to get some sports technology videos going as well.
13) Any message to your fans?
Just want to say thank you to everyone that supports me! Everyone’s views, comments, ratings sincerely mean a lot and it does not go unnoticed.
Follow him up on: