By Rubab Ali
Angelina Jolie Voight, born on June 4, 1975 (age 39) in Los Angeles, California, is an American actress and filmmaker. She has received an Academy Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and three Golden Globe Awards, and was named Hollywood’s highest-paid actress by Forbes in 2009, 2011, and 2013. Jolie promotes humanitarian causes, and is noted for her work with refugees as a Special Envoy and former Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). She has been cited as the world’s “most beautiful” woman by various media outlets, a title for which she has received substantial publicity.
Jolie made her screen debut as a child alongside her father, Jon Voight, in Lookin’ to Get Out (1982). She committed to acting at the age of 16, but initially found it difficult to pass auditions, often being told that she was “too dark.” Her professional film career began in earnest a decade later with the low-budget production Cyborg 2 (1993). Jolie was so disappointed with the film that she did not audition again for a year. Her first leading role in a major film was in the cyber-thriller Hackers (1995). She starred in the critically acclaimed biographical television films George Wallace (1997) and Gia (1998), and won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the drama Girl, Interrupted (1999). Although highly regarded for her acting abilities, Jolie had not found films that appealed to wide audiences, but portrayal of the video game heroine Lara Croft in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) made her an international superstar. She was ranked among the highest-paid actresses in Hollywood with the sequel The Cradle of Life (2003). She continued her action-star career with Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005), Wanted (2008), Salt (2010) and The Tourist (2010). She received critical acclaim for her performances in the dramas A Mighty Heart (2007) and Changeling (2008), which earned her a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Actress.
She also provided the voice of the angelfish Lola in the animated movie Shark Tale (2004). She also viced over Master Tigress in the movie Kung Fu Panda (2008) and reprised the role in the sequel Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011).After a three-and-a-half-year absence from the screen, Jolie starred in the fantasy film Maleficent (2014) which became her biggest commercial success. Jolie made her directorial debut with the 2007 documentary, A Place in Time, which captures daily life in 27 locations around the world during a single week; followed by the wartime drama, In the Land of Blood and Honey (2011). As of July 2014, Jolie has completed work on her second directorial venture, Unbroken. She is also scheduled to direct and co-star with Brad Pitt in a romantic drama, By The Sea.
Divorced from actors Jonny Lee Miller and Billy Bob Thornton, Jolie is now married to actor Brad Pitt. They announced their engagement in April 2012, after seven years together, and married on August 23, 2014, at their estate Chateau Miraval in Correns, France. They have six children, three of whom are adopted. As a couple, they are dubbed “Brangelina” by the entertainment media, and are the subject of worldwide media coverage.
– She commits herself to a very important rule: Spend 1/3 of what you earn, give away 1/3 of your earnings and finally save the remaining 1/3 of earnings.
– Brangelina’s twins Knox and Vivienne’s first picture was made public by People and Hello! magazines who paid the couple a whopping $14 million in exchange for the pictures. The money went to the Jolie-Pitt Foundation.
– Angelina has a fascination with tattoos. In total, she has 14 tattoos on her body.
– Her child hood dream job? She aimed to be a Funeral Director as an adult.
– Jolie is said to be the only A-lister in Hollywood who does not have a publicist to represent her and her PR activities. She deals with her own public image.
– The woman can fly planes. Jolie has a Private Pilot Certificate.
– Angelina used to have strange pets as a kid like Vladimir (a lizard), Harry Dean Stanton (a snake) and Harry (a rat).
– In 1997, she married her Hackers’ costar Jonny Lee Miller. She wore black leather pants and a white top with Jonny’s name scribbled in her own blood to the ceremony.
– During her marriage to actor Billy Bob Thornton, the spouses each wore a vial of the other’s blood around their necks.
– Because Jolie is left-handed, it required the production team of “Lara Croft: Tomb Raider” to come up with special guns for Jolie so they could be easily reloaded.
– As Lara Croft, Angelina Jolie performed almost 80% of the stunts.
– As one of her many hobbies, Angie collects knives and first edition books.
– Growing up, Angelina listened to punk rock music and also took ballroom dancing classes.
– She confessed in an interview that she doesn’t like being hugged. “Growing up, I had a thing about people hugging me, even my mother; I’m holding my breath now just talking about it.”
– Her natural hair colour is dark blonde. Her mother dyed it dark brown when she was four or five and she’s kept it dark ever since.